PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WPRI) - Residents at the Burns Manor in Pawtucket woke up Thursday morning to a fire inside one of the apartments.
Eyewitness News has learned that the fire was not very large, but did leave a man in his 60's suffering from serious burn wounds. He was transported to RI Hospital.
Flames broke out at the elderly living center at 95 Park Street sometime around 6 a.m. Crews responded to the scene after receiving a box alarm call.
"It's reality. It's scary, it really is. It is very scary," said resident Georgia Gately.
First responders found an active fire inside a first floor apartment and were able to quickly extinguish it.
Some of the residents had to be evacuated to another room.
"We evacuated all the residents to the day room and they are all safe and sound in there and we are assessing the other apartments for smoke damage," said Chief William Sisson.
It's unclear at this time what started the fire.
Authorities continue to investigate.