COVENTRY, R.I. (WPRI) -- A Coventry family was forced out into the cold after a fire broke out in their chimney Wednesday morning.
Emergency crews were called to 1444 Main St. at about 9:45 a.m. and found the damage also extended to a small part of the home.
- More: Fireplace Safety Tips
Battalion Chief Scott Murray says this type of incident is common this time of year.
"It's traditional for this area, a lot of wood stoves, a lot of people use wood as a primary heat source. A lot of soot build up. I'd say improper clean-out or maintenance of the chimney is to blame," said Chief Murray
No injuries were reported at the scene and the family who lived in the home is now staying with relatives.
Copyright WPRI 12