WEST WARWICK, R.I. (WPRI) - As a result of the Station Nightclub fire tragedy 10 years ago, many businesses and nightclubs were shut down or forced to make costly changes in order to be in accordance with new fire code laws put into place.
Mardi Gras in Cranston temporarily shut down in the weeks following the tragic West Warwick fire in order to improve fire safety measures.
Owner John Readey showed Eyewitness News all the safety renovations the club underwent, including the installation of sprinklers and more exits.
- Complete Coverage: Club Fire Tragedy
- Photos: In Remembrance: Club Fire Victims
- Survivor's Reflection: 'Anger not productive'
Readey says one thing every business learned following the fire was "awareness."
"I think we all, that have a place of public assembly think about that for the grace of God, that was a terrible tragedy and I think one of the things that have improved greatly is awareness, from that having a plan and have preparedness."
The safety improvements at Mardi Gras cost more than $100,000.
Plans were recently unveiled for a memorial at the fire site that will feature a 30 foot high entrance gate, an open air pavilion and winding paths leading through a dozen memorial gardens - costing nearly $1.5 million.
Copyright WPRI 12