PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – With the cold winter temperatures here to stay for awhile the Rhode Island State Fire Marshal wants to warn people to keep safe while trying to stay warm.
Space heaters are one option people use to keep warm, but make sure if you use those items you take the proper precautions so you don't start a fire.
State Fire Marshal Jack Chartier said "you should be looking for equipment that has a tip over switch in it. You should be looking for equipment that has overheat capability in it, capable of shutting itself down if you leave it unattended and it overheats."
Make sure that you:
- Keep children and pets away as
- Look for a safety certification label from an independent testing organization.
- Check the power cord for cracks, fraying, loose connections and broken plugs.
- And most importantly never leave a space heater on unattended, in a child's room or while your sleeping.
"Most importantly, is to keep it away from combustibles," Chartier said. "Most fires involving space heaters occur because the space heater has been placed too close to something that can burn."
According to consumerreports.org portable space heaters cause an estimated 21,600 fires and about 1,500 fire related injuries and deaths each year.
Copyright WPRI 12